March 22, 2010

On life and cooking

It would not be an underestimate to say that food is central to our daily routines. Not just because we need to fill our stomachs with something, but also because food is so much part of how we conduct our relationships. We interact with others around food. We do business or get to know people around food. Many of us even propose to the one we love at a dinner table. In fact, my cooking therapy is not just for my own sake. By now you've probably figured out that this is also my way of telling my wife that I love her and care about her. It's not really that much of a deal, since she returns the favor in exactly same way 6 days a week. So my heroics only make up for one day per week. :) Still, my wife drools over me when I put that apron on, and makes me feel like I'm a superhero. Speaking of mushy love, a friend of mine wrote this on Facebook this last week:

"You know how food tastes better the next day, after it has time to mingle with the other ingredients, I think that this applies to marriage too. Everyday it gets better, I love my Tim:)"

How sweet is that!
Ok, before I get carried away, here are this weekend's recipes:

Dish # 1 - Michigan Salad


Serves: 4 Time to Prepare: 30 min

2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon and 2-1/4 teaspoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon white sugar
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste

1 head butter lettuce - rinsed, and torn
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons dried cherries
2/3 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into matchsticks
1-1/2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1 ounce chopped candied pecans

In the container of a blender, combine the mayonnaise, maple syrup, vinegar, and sugar. Cover and blend on low speed. Gradually pour in the vegetable oil while mixing until fully incorporated. Taste and season accordingly with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a large serving bowl, combine the lettuce, cherries, apples, goat cheese and candied pecans. Toss with just enough of the dressing to coat, then serve with the remaining dressing on the side.

My experience: I added a couple of tablespoons of cherry pie filling (which I used for the dessert) to the sauce. It worked!
Our verdict: Matet said this was the best salad ever!

Dish # 2 - Herbed Potato Soup


Serves: 4 Time to Prepare: 5 min Cooking Time: 25 min

1-5/8 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1-1/2 cups and 2 tablespoons water
3/4 large onion, chopped
3 tablespoons and 1/2 teaspoon butter, cubed
3 tablespoons and 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup and 3 tablespoons milk

Place potatoes and water in a large saucepan; cook over medium heat until tender. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute onion butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, thyme, rosemary, and pepper. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add potatoes with cooking liquid; heat through.

My experience: I added oregano, and was also planning to add cauliflower, but... I forgot!
Our verdict: Quick and easy.

Dish # 3 - Sweet and Sour Pork Patties


Serves: 4 Time to Prepare: 10 min Cooking Time: 30 min

1 1/2 pounds ground pork
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 (10 ounce) jar sweet and sour sauce

Mix pork, breadcrumbs, red pepper flakes, salt, egg, milk, parsley and onions together in bowl. Shape into 8 to 12 patties.
Slowly brown in frying pan until juices run clear; drain well. Heat sweet and sour sauce in frying pan. Place cooked patties in pan and heat through.

My experience: This was my first time ever to make something like this. I was not sure if I really should skip oil or butter, and was expecting those pork juices to flow out. They didn't! So I had to rescue my poor patties before they got stuck to the pan. The rest was fine. It turned out to be very tasty.
Our verdict: Yummy! No leftovers!

Dish # 4 - Cherry Salad


Serves: 10 Time to Prepare: 5 min

1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
graham crackers
1 can pineapple tidbits
1/2 bag mini marshmallows

Mix whipped topping, sweetened condensed milk, marshmallows, pineapple tidbits and cherries in a large mixing bowl. Transfer to a serving bowl where you layout the crackers in layers, and chill.

My experience: I think this recipe really needs that condensed milk, to thicken the whole thing, but I think it was a bit too much condensed milk. Too sweet. Not too bad though. Also, even though I kept it in the freezer overnight, it did not really get hard. So I wonder what could have made it thicker.
Our verdict: Cherry pie filling rules! Could eat it all day long!

2 comments:

  1. superb! thanks for cooking for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet and sour pork patties, wow, very cool. Michagan salad taken right out of middle america - hahahahahaha. you used my quote, hahahaha. Love you allxoxoxxoxox Missy

    ReplyDelete