April 12, 2010

Dessert challenge

You know what is becoming the biggest problem for me? Finding recipes that I can accomplish. Some are just too complicated, some lack ingredients in the Philippines, some don't really meet our taste preferences. Hmmmm. This week the challenge was to find a dessert that I could do. I already did all kinds of smoothies with my trusty blender. I also did fruit salads and crepes. We don't have a proper oven (only a microwave), so I can't do cakes. Grrrr! So this weekend Matet came up with a solution for me. You will see what it was when you scroll down to the recipe. But here is a thought - would you like to help me in my cooking therapy? Send me your favorite recipe or two for any dish (salad, soup, main, or dessert/drink), and if it's doable, I will attempt making it. This would add some interactivity to my blog. You would help me in overcoming the horrors of the kitchen, and it would be fun for me to learn what food you like to eat, and I'm sure you would get a good laugh if I screw up your favorite dish! What do you think? Let's do this! You can send your recipes either to my Facebook account or put it here in the comments. Thanks! I really look forward to them.

Dish # 1 - Mendocino Chicken Salad


Serves 4 Time to Prepare 15 min

2/3 (6 ounce) package smoked chicken breast, skin removed, cubed
2/3 cup seedless grapes, halved
1/3 cup diced red onion
2 stalks celery, diced
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
2/3 cup blanched slivered almonds
1/2 cup mayonnaise

In a large bowl, combine the smoked chicken, grapes, red onion, celery, basil, almonds and mayonnaise. Mix well; chill and serve.

My experience: Fast and easy. Although I have to admit I am getting tired of mayo. Want something different.
Our verdict: A good salad, but after eating a few masterpieces since the start of this blog, we conclude that this one doesn't really stand out. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very good salad.

Dish # 2 - Santa Fe Soup


Serves 4 Time to Prepare 5 min Cooking Time 10  min

225 g ground beef
225 g processed cheese food (eg. Velveeta), cubed
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
1/2 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
1/2 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn
1 (15 ounce) can ranch-style beans

Brown ground beef and drain off fat.
In a large stock pot combine browned beef, diced onion, tomatoes with liquid, stewed tomatoes with chilies, corn with liquid, Ranch-style beans with liquid, and cubed processed cheese. Simmer on low heat until the cheese is melted and the onion is tender. Serve hot.

My experience: Oh so easy, and oh so very very gooooooood!!! I could not believe it. Making it couldn't be any easier - just open the different cans, and pour that stuff into the pot. It's a fool-proof recipe even for someone like me, and the taste is incredible. 
Our verdict: Really didn't expect such a great taste from such a simple recipe. But wow!!! Definitely will do this again!

Dish # 3 - Buffalo Chicken Strips


Serves 4 Time to Prepare 5 min Cooking Time 15 min

1/4 cup and 3 tablespoons plain non-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon low-fat mayonnaise
1-1/2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
5 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into strips
1/8 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 teaspoons butter
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce

To Make Dip: In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise and bleu cheese. Stir in green onion and pepper; cover and refrigerate.
To Make Strips: Heat oil in a large skillet. Season chicken with salt and sautee over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Add butter and hot pepper sauce to skillet and swirl until the butter melts and the sauce coats the chicken. Serve hot chicken with refrigerated dip mix.

My experience: Another really easy recipe. I think I need something a bit more complicated.
Our verdict: It's nice. To make it a main dish, serve it with mashed potatoes or rice. It's perfect as an appetizer though.

Dish # 4 - Granola and Vanilla Almond Ice Cream


Serves 4 Time to Prepare 5 min

4 granola bars
4 vanilla almond ice cream, scoops
chocolate syrup
cherries

Place a granola bar on a dessert plate. Put some ice cream on top. Add chocolate syrup for a great look and top it off with a cherry. Yum!

My experience: As I've mentioned above, I really ran out of ideas for the dessert this weekend. Maybe some tiredness set in - I don't know. Anyway, Matet rescued me with this simple solution.
Our verdict: Yummy!

3 comments:

  1. you want some challenge! let's do some sushi... hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sushi???? Hmmmm... wow... my knees are shaking just at the thought of it! Let me process this a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sushi is so overrated:) lets see some creme brule' or chocolate suffle:)

    ReplyDelete