June 4, 2010

On basketball and kitchen failures

My favorite NBA team (Cavs) crashed out, and yet again failed to reach the Finals, despite yet again, having the best regular season record. I was sad and frustrated. One minute it seems your team could play anyone anywhere and still win by a good margin, and the next thing you know, the season is over way too early. I hate going from a high to a low.

This past week I had the pleasure of watching two live games of Filipino collegiate basketball. The team I support is young and inexperienced. Consistency is still lacking, but the spirit is there, so hopefully they will improve over time. The first game I watched, they were absolutely horrible. I thought to myself, "Wow, this team needs a major makeover - coaching staff, roster, everything! And ASAP!!!" But then tonight they were a complete opposite. They played amazing defense, dove for every lose ball, and punished their opponents for most of the game. From a miserable blowout loss to a fantastic blowout victory - all in less than a week. I'm impressed. Sure, there were still plenty of flaws in the game, but the change in attitude was obvious, and it bore fruit.

Why am I sharing this basketball stuff in a culinary blog? To me, the connection is obvious. Just like the college basketball team, I am inexperienced in what I do in the kitchen. There are weeks when it seems like whatever I do with those ingredients, it would turn out a sure winner dish. And when I close my eyes, I picture myself receiving a trophy as The Chef of the Year. So if you ever wonder what it is that I daydream about, let me tell you right now - in those fuzzy moments I prepare my trophy acceptance speech. Trouble is, when I'm done and I open up my eyes again, I'm faced with a reality that is at times utterly miserable.

Take this week, for example. Everything seemed to be going perfectly well... until I started making the Cafe Mocha Cupcakes. The full story of how badly I screwed it up can be found below.

Dish # 1 - Mango Black Bean Salsa


Serves 6 Time to Prepare 15 min

4 medium-sized tomatoes, finely diced
1 red onion, finely diced
1 fresh chili, finely diced
4 cheeks of mangoes, (yes, you guessed it right - finely diced too)
1 teaspoon chili powder
3 tablespoons cilantro, finely diced
1 1/2 tablespoon salted black beans, washed and drained
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon rind of lime
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Mix together all ingredients and refrigerate for 1 hour.

My experience: I like any recipe that just says "mix ingredients and refrigerate". Doesn't get much easier than that. But this one is definitely a winner. I loved how the mangoes blended with the taste of other ingredients. Really nice salsa! Except that I forgot to add the beans! Oops!
Our verdict: Yes, yes, yes, and a hundred times more - yes!

Dish # 2 - Hearty Vegetable Soup


Serves 4 Time to Prepare 10 min Cooking Time 30 min

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 pound boneless beef sirloin steak OR
beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3 cups V8® 100% Vegetable Juice
1 3/4 cups Swanson® Beef Broth  (Regular, Lower Sodium or Certified Organic)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 medium potato, cut into cubes (about 1 cup)
1 medium carrot, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 stalk celery, thickly sliced (about 1/2 cup)

Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until it's well browned, stirring often. Pour off any fat. Stir the vegetable juice, broth, thyme, pepper, potato, carrot, onion and celery in the saucepot and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.

My experience: This is a really-easy-to-make soup. I think I should have worked the beef a bit longer, as it was slightly (but tolerably) chewy.
Our verdict: A very good, traditional soup.

Dish # 3 - Sesame Chicken Nuggets


Serves 4 Time to Prepare 5 min Cooking Time 30 min

8 chicken breast fillets
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup white sugar
3 slices ginger
barbeque sticks
toasted sesame seeds
2 teaspoons water
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Cut each chicken breast fillet into 3 pieces each and set aside. Mix soy sauce, sugar and ginger in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and simmer for 5 min, or until the sauce thickens into a light syrup. Lower the heat and drop the chicken pieces into the sauce. Cook for 10 min. Take the chicken pieces out and let them cool for 5 min on a plate. Skewer 3 pieces per bamboo stick and roll lightly across a plate of toasted sesame seeds to coat. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with water. Remove the ginger slices from the remaining sauce and pour cornstarch mixture into the pan. Stir on low heat until the sauce thickens. Serve on side with the chicken skewers.

My experience: I am so glad we picked this recipe. I love chicken. But this recipe made me go "Mmmm!"
Our verdict: Awesome recipe, we will do this again for sure!

And now (drumroll for the pathetic cupcakes please! The picture says it all)...

Dish # 4 - Cafe Mocha Cupcakes


Serves 4 Time to Prepare 10 min Ready in 3 hrs

Chocolate Crust:
30 pieces chocolate sandwich cookies (like Oreo), ground
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup all-purpose cream
extra softened butter for brushing sides of a pie plate or a cupcake pan

Combine ground chocolate cookies and sugar in a bowl. Add in the melted butter and cream, and combine well. Brush sides of the cupcake pan or pie plate with butter. Pour in the cookie mixture and press into the sides and bottom of the pie plate or each cupcake slot of the pan. Place the crusts in the freezer for at least 1 hour.

Coffee Filling:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon instant coffee
2 eggs
2 cups chilled whipped cream
chocolate chips or curls (M&M's or Kisses can also be used)

In a bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Combine cocoa powder and coffee and fold this into the creamed butter and sugar. Add in the eggs, one at a time, folding each egg well every time. Place this filling on top of your frozen crusts. Level the mixture. Freeze again for at least 2 hours. Right before serving, generously place whipped cream on top and decorate with chocolate pieces.

My experience: Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong! Grrrrr! First off, the recipe doesn't say this, but shouldn't you place those paper thingies into the cupcake slots before pouring the stuff into them??? Or else, how on earth would you remove your cupcake from the cupcake slot??? The picture obviously shows, I was not able to figure that out. So we had to eat them from those cupcake slots. It looked bad. Worst of all, the taste was not good either. It was just too much of everything - too much coffee, too much cocoa powder. All that mixed with chocolate cookies, butter and sugar - and you get an overdose. My kids refused eating it, and I don't blame them. Matet and I tried it, and it was awful!
Taking a hint from the basketball experience during the week, I would like to think I have learned some valuable lessons, and will do better next time, but boy, this was bad!
Our verdict: It's gross all around!

1 comment:

  1. sure, those chicken nuggets were really good... didn't even leave some for me...duh! hahaha.....

    ReplyDelete